Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dogs are supposed to be bigger than cats

So this all started this winter when I went over to my friend Pottsie's house. I knew she bred poms and I knew I liked big dogs (hence being the owner of two mastiffs and a lab). But, then I saw these little cute fuzzy puppies that looked like cotton balls with eyes and I HAD TO HAVE ONE. Note to any animal lovers: Pottsie is nice, but NEVER go to her house. You will come away with a puppy.

I named her Honey and then she never grew. Well, I guess she grew -- sort of. As of Tuesday night she topped off at just under 2 and a half pounds. How do I know this -- well she was weighed at the Emergency Vet Clinic. Why? Because she fell off the bed. Gerbils apparently are not bred to sleep on beds. They break when they fall off. And that's what happened to Honey. What made it better is that Honey wasn't sleeping in MY bed, she was in Lynelle's bed. See, Lynelle is my barn manager and I made a deal with her daughter Gabby that Honey and Uno (her brother -- you can't have just one!) could spend the nights with Gabby instead of crated at my house.

So, at about 11:30 Tuesday I get a phone call from Lynelle saying that Honey fell out of bed and her leg was swollen and it didn't look good. So she brought the dog, I brought the checkbook and we met at the vet.

To set the scene: in walk two EXTREMELY dirty women (still in barn clothes--and mind you I had been riding a dirty pony bareback so my butt was looking especially nice) and one very tiny dog. We meet the vet, tell him Honey fell off the bed and he informed us that yes, "the angle of the dangle" looked bad and she probably broke her leg. What made it better is I think HE thought that Honey was in bed with BOTH of us. He had a hard time deciding who to talk to, who should sign the medical release and basically who wore the pants in the relationship.

At one point I said, "Lynelle is my barn manager." To me who was sleep deprived and slap happy that obviously cleared it all up, but I think that just made him think we weren't out of the closet yet.

By the end of the night we came away with a pretty good prognosis, but a puppy who needs to wear a cast for 6 weeks and the confirmation that Lynelle and I make one of THE oddest lesbian couples EVER. It's a good thing we have Chris and Trevor around to keep us straight. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Peanut said...

How funny! 2.5 pounds? That's hardly anything! Welcome to blogging!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Boss said...

I'm glad to hear Honey is OK, cause otherwise I would have felt really bad laughing at this story. "Barn manager" huh? Is that you kids are calling it these days? ;)

It's good to see you blogging! I hope you don't mind me stopping by!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Crazy Horse Lady said...

Hey boss -- the more Henrichsen's the better! Thanks for stopping by. This year for Christmas I'm asking Santa to have the Henrichsen's adopt me.

Do you think anyone would notice me if I showed up at the reunion? I guess I am kind of tall... maybe if I slouch I'd fit in. :)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

Some might notice, but you'd still be welcome.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home