Friday, May 19, 2006

Mayo wants their money back !?!

So, as most of you know, in a previous life I worked at the WFMC. Today in the mail I recieve a letter saying, "I have recieved the paperwork staing that you were overpaid on your last pay check, I have calculated your payback amount and it is $228.89, please make your check out to the 'Mayo Foundation' you can send me your check using the US Postal Service, my address is: blah blah blah. Sincerely, Mark the Mayo Tool"

Note: The Mayo Tool is not Mark's real last name.

Is this for real???? I guess so...

UGH.

So now I'm torn-- do I...

1) ignore the letter
2) call Mark and waste my day in red tape
3) send in the check
4) send in the wrong amount just for giggles (devious, I know, but it would be funny)

Picture of the day:

Addy on the lawn...

5 Comments:

Blogger Peanut said...

Seriously? Wow.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Crazy Horse Lady said...

Seriously.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Even if you give it back it will probably be reported by Mayo as income to the IRS ... which implies that if you are serious about giving to the "Mayo Foundation" you should get a receipt for your charitable donation.

Usually they make you sign all sorts of agreements when you start direct deposit, so they are at liberty to debit, not just credit your bank account, in the event of clerical or other errors.

But if it was a check ... then it is yours until you decide how you want to part with it. I guess I vote option A.

But Option D is appealing, especially if you do something like send them $6.35, and include a payment schedule for repaying the total over the next 3 years. With no signed agreement prior to the loan, 0% interest and a 36-month term is more than generous of you.

(I am not a lawyer, only one of Sonnet's brothers, so while this communicaiton is privileged and confidential, only for those who read this blog, it is by no means legal nor very good advice.)

-NOT the Mayo Tool or the Spatula

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why am I not suprised? You can never escape !!!!!

-Lori

P.S. - If you do decide to pay them, Mark (not The Tool) has a good point about getting a receipt for tax purposes.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Crazy Horse Lady said...

LOL. I like Mark's 'payment plan' idea. Maybe I can stretch it out over 3 or 4 pages of detailed dates in a really hard to read font. :) If I only had more free time!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home